Saturday, September 25, 2010

And The Problem Is...?

I'm a native of the land of Fruits, Nuts & Flakes (California). I live on a small island in the San Francisco Bay off the coast of Oakland. We have two local newspapers. I tend to read the one that comes out on Friday, because it has a better real-estate section than the paper that comes out on Wednesday. I always read the Editorials & occasionally respond to them. The particular item that I wish to discuss here, is the political cartoon. It shows our Republican Gubernatorial candidate, Meg Whitman, holding a money bag, and the caption is "If you have to ask how much?... You can't afford to be governor."

The implication is that a wealthy individual willing to spend their own hard-earned money to campaign for a political office is somehow a bad thing.

Personally, I think it's a wonderful thing. Just think - she's not beholden to the Union fascists, the Oil Companies, the Environmental fascists, the racist Hispanics who want to remake California back into the paragon of civilization called Mexico (what's the murder rate there right now?), or the ad nauseum etcs. that belong in that ilk.

I guess she's wealthy enough she can actually afford to listen to what the citizens of California want her to hear.

On the other hand, all the above types of interest groups spending "independently" on Moonbeam's behalf will no doubt be whispering in his ear loudly and often enough that he won't really be listening to you or me. Not to mention that he has in one interview long ago admitted lying in his campaigns to win. In another more recent interview (in L.A. I believe) after accusing Whitman of lying, he was asked if he had ever lied. (I paraphrase here ...) "I've never lied - although I have equivocated. And when I did equivocate, it was obvious to the voters." Now, you don't really need to run off to your dictionary to look up the definition of equivacation. It's a fancy word for lieing when done intentionally. It's about the same level as Clinton's famous "define is" moment. So I suppose we should give Moonbeam some points for being honest about lieing? Boy, there's a conundrum - but hardly a recommendation for my vote.

Personally, I'm choosing the person who is so committed to trying to save California that she's willing to spend more money than anyone else has in American politics over someone who admits he's willing to say anything just to get back in office.

Regardless of the size of her fortune, I have no doubt that Moonbeam has more lies than Whitman has dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment